Effective Ways To Overcome The Fear Of Public Speaking
There are really two types of people in the world when it comes to performing on stage or presenting to a big crowd – those who love speaking in public and those who become really stiff and scared even just at the thought of it – we have to find amazing ways how to deal with it. These are perfectly normal phenomena that occur to many people.
Conquering the trauma of stage fright need not be a struggle. However, understanding how performance anxiety and stage fright happens, how they work, and how to go about them, are great ways to get started the “conquering process”.
These tips shall never fail you, especially if you keep No. 2 in mind.
1. Shift your attention from yourself and your fear to your true purpose. Contributing something of value to your audience. Focus on your speech, audience, and what they deserve from you. This will ease the pressure that is already accumulating.
2. Stop scaring yourself with thoughts about what might go wrong. Though you might feel like everyone is out there to laugh and ready to criticize or judge you, it’s not really the case. Get over the feeling that the world is going to hang on your every mistake. After all, it is NOT all about you.
3. Focus on thoughts and images that appear calming and reassuring to you. There are many ways to calm and relax your mind and body such as deep breathing, relaxation exercises, yoga, and meditation is a good option. Before you speak, always relax.
4. Refuse to think judgments that create self-doubt and low confidence. Bear this in mind: Stage fright is true “all in your head,” the fear manifests itself in the physical sense. The quickest way to combat this is to change your negative self-talk into positive self-talk. So instead of saying,“What if I forget what I am talking about?” Try saying, “What if I am fantastic at this!?”. Sounds silly, I know, but it’s worth a try.
5. Prepare your material in advance and read it aloud so you hear your voice. Knowing the content of your speech or lecture is very important. By reading it aloud, you familiarize yourself with the ways to deliver it effectively and efficiently. It is also a great way to assure yourself that you know what you’d say or do. And there’s no reason to be nervous at all.
6. Practice in front of a mirror or in front of friends, or you may also opt to record or video yourself. Doing this is penalty-free and fun, making you associate public speaking with something enjoyable versus something you’re afraid of.
7. Visualize your success: Always focus on your strength and ability to handle challenging situations. You can do this through profound reflection, visualization, and meditation. Spend time visualizing yourself giving your perfect presentation and speaking in public – filled with humor, warmth, confidence, and wit.
During the Performance or Presentation
8. Make connections with your audience: Smile and greet people, thinking of them as friends rather than enemies or critics.
9. Stand or sit in a self-assured, confident posture. Remain warm and open and make eye contact. Above all, speak confidently. You’ve prepared for this and you certainly want this to turn out really well.
10. Give up trying to be perfect and know that it is OK to make mistakes. Be natural and be yourself. Don’t also blame yourself in case technical glitch occurs – inevitable things like this really happen.
Remember not to fight your stage fright, you just have to deal and work with it. You have to expect and accept the fact that you will feel a bit anxious, especially during the first few minutes of your presentation. Thus, think that the more you resist your anxiety, the more it will work against you. Again, focus on the presentation when speaking in public and the anxiety will slowly ease off.
More in LifeStyle
Five Surprising Real Notions About People Seeking Therapy. No 4 is Our Favorite
In as much as therapy helps, it remains very obvious that only a few people go for it because of the...February 12, 2019
Three Keys To Making Progress In Your Career
There are thousands of different jobs in the world, almost every single job is very important and it can be very...February 12, 2019
Things You Should Start Doing Today If You Want To Be Rich
Almost every person is dreaming about a life where he can be rich and without worries about his present or about...February 12, 2019
3 Surefire Tips on How to Fix a Bad Client Relationship
“The customer is always right”– Marshall Field You must have heard this quote at one time or another. In fact, it...February 12, 2019
Celebrity Fitspiration: Chris Hemsworth Launches a Fitness App to Help You Be Healthy!
Wants to start your first quarter of 2019 right but you struggle of motivating yourself to live a healthy lifestyle? Worry...February 11, 2019
Self Motivation Tips For Small Business Owners
Small business owners have those moments when they lack self motivation. Some of these business owners already have efficient means to...February 11, 2019
The Guiding Communication Principles Of Great Leaders
One thing great leaders have in common is great communication skill. Any speech made by a great leader is an avenue...February 11, 2019
Matthew McConaughey Asked About the Audition for “Jack” in Titanic
Undoubtedly one of the most iconic, and well-received movies of all time is James Cameron’s masterpiece, Titanic. For those who somehow...February 11, 2019
A Look Inside Coco Prive: Where The Rich Go To Unwind
A look at Coco Prive Island Billionaires also unwind and take breaks from endless work hours to refresh their nerves, rejuvenate...February 11, 2019